Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Music, Images, and Movies
This is just a quick list of appropriate musical recordings, images, and films. See our online catalog or the Learning Commons Desk for help in finding more. Contact Laurie Phillips at email@example.com to request music or DVDs.
Online Image Collections
On this research guide, we have pulled together a list of many image collections available at museums, libraries, and other institutions around the world.
Musical recordings (CD + vinyl)
The Monroe Library has a rich collection of audio recordings on CD and vinyl of African-American artists. The CDs are located at the rear of the first floor. The vinyl records are also on the first floor, a few rows towards the front of the building from the CDs. Both use call numbers of a different kind than books. CDs are divided by genre, like JAZZ, POPULAR, and WORLD. Vinyl LPs are also divided by genre, but the designations are numerical (9,000 for jazz, 10,000 for popular, etc.). All are listed in our online catalog and can be found by album title, song title, and artist.
- Motown the musical [sound recording] : original Broadway cast recording. CD BDWAY 00209
- Black Manhattan. Volume 2 [sound recording] CD BLUES 00087
- Charles Mingus : the Jazz Workshop concerts, 1964-65. JAZZ 00610
- King of the New Orleans keyboard [sound recording] CD BLUES 00090
- Fela! [sound recording] : original Broadway cast recording CD BDWAY 00119
- Blues walkin' like a man [sound recording] : a tribute to Son House CD BLUES 00078
- Memphis Slim. Classic piano blues [sound recording] : from Smithsonian Folkways CD BLUES 00062
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974. The complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh small group sessions [sound recording] CD JAZZ 00613
- Hubbard, Freddie. Blue spirits [sound recording] CD JAZZ 00516
- Say it loud! [sound recording] : a celebration of Black music in America CD POPLR 00272
- Ken Burns jazz [sound recording] : the story of America's music CD JAZZ 00392
- Morton, Jelly Roll, d. 1941. Mr. Jelly Lord [sound recording] Call number CD JAZZ 00368
All movies are on DVD. They are on shelves on the first floor on the Freret Street side wall, wrapping over behind the Dell computers. Green dots on the spine can be checked out for three days. Those with a red dot on the spine are for faculty use in classes, but may be checked out for use in the library by students. All are listed in our online catalog. They can be found by title, director, and actor. They are numbered starting with DVD-000001, so the newest are at the end of the section. Feature and documentary films are in our collection. We usually buy films nominated for Academy Awards for best film.
- 4 little girls [videorecording] Author Lee, Spike. Call number DVD-002136.
- Precious (based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire) [videorecording] Author Daniels, Lee, 1959- Call number DVD-001654
- Black history [videorecording] : a retrospective Author Cine-O-Matic, Inc. Call number DVD-002714
Égalité for all [videorecording] : Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian Revolution Author Koval, Margaret. Call number DVD-001944
- The great debaters Widescreen [ed.]. Author Washington, Denzel, 1954- Call number DVD-003157
- The Angola 3 [videorecording] : Black Panthers and the last slave plantation Author Wilkerson, Robert King. Call number DVD-003004
- Black in America [videorecording] Author Timko, Dave. Call number DVD-001411
- Faubourg Treme [videorecording] : the untold story of Black New Orleans Author Logsdon, Dawn. Call number DVD-001012
- The pursuit of happyness [videorecording] Widescreen ed. Author Muccino, Gabriele. Call number DVD-002611
- Rosewood [videorecording] Widescreen version. Author Singleton, John, 1968- Call number DVD-002092
- Roots of resistance [videorecording] : the story of the Underground Railroad Author Thomas, Theodore, 1951- Call number DVD-000646
- Mirrors of privilege : making whiteness visible Author Butler, Shakti, Call number DVD-002987
- The Jeffersons. The complete third season [videorecording] Author Shea, Jack, 1928- Call number DVD-001990
Martin Luther King [videorecording] : "I have a dream." Author King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968. Call number DVD-000492
- Malcolm X [videorecording] Widescreen. Author Lee, Spike. Call number DVD-000413